The Scarf Line Operator reports to the MPP Plant Manager/ Shift Supervisor and be assigned primarily to a scarf line. The scarf process entails cutting a joint in a 4’x8’ laminated panel, applying glue, and pressing and curing the glued joint. Additional processes include sanding, cutting panels, and stacking. Positions will train on day shift, but ultimately move to swing shift.
- Job Title
- Scarf Line Operator
- MPP Manufacturing
- Report To
- Plant Manager
- Wage Range
- $21.38 to $23.69
- Previous experience working in a plywood or engineered wood facility is preferred. Applicable experience includes working with resins, presses, panel sawing and finishing or a combination of similar experience.
- Qualified candidates ensure the quality of all aspects of the finished panels including joint quality, surface quality, and size tolerances.
- Forklift experience is beneficial for this position.
If needed, or while scarf line is not operating, Scarf Line Operator may be required to
perform duties in other areas of the facility, including at the MPP press, CNC areas, or
managing inventory and finished product functions. These responsibilities encompass a
wide range including basic carpentry, inventory management including making product
ready to ship and operation of overhead cranes. All functions will be performed on panels as
large as 12 feet wide, by 48 feet long and up to 24 inches thick
- Standing continuously, lifting to 40 pounds, constantly moving, repetitive motion of
the shoulders, arms, hands and fingers
- Up and down stairs and possibly on and off machinery
- Working five to six days per week
- Positions will train on Day Shift, but will eventually move to Swing Shift
Educational Requirements : High school diploma or GED
Experience Requirements : At least 1 year
Health, Dental, Life, Short-term Disability, Section 125, Profit Sharing and 401(K), Vacation and Holiday Pay
Freres Engineered Wood Products, formerly Freres Lumber Co., Inc. was established in 1922 in the Santiam Canyon of Oregon. We are a family-owned and operated wood products manufacturing business headquartered in Lyons, Oregon. Now in its third generation, family management continues to build on the success of past generations.
We operate six processing plants, including a small log veneer plant, large log veneer plant, veneer drying facility, plywood plant, mass ply plant and stud mill in addition to having our own fleet of trucks and a cogeneration facility. We are dedicated to reinvesting in our modern manufacturing facilities, providing high-quality wood products, and providing family wage jobs within our communities. We specialize in creating the highest quality wood products, from raw log to finished products, including: hog fuel, bark fines, chips, shavings, specialty veneer, grade lumber, high-quality sheathing grade plywood, MPP and even electricity.
Our passion for continuous improvement aligned with our innovative approach to manufacturing has led us to develop and become the sole producer of a unique, patented wood product, the Mass Ply Panel. If you have growth mindset and a continuous-improvement attitude, you’re probably a great fit for our team!